Monday, November 05, 2007

not too long ago. i was having some casual chat with my mom during dinner. and i brought up something dat has been a hassle to me since eons ago- my name.

obviously most of yal shd know how my name sounds like. theres no prob with the Chinese pronounciation. but its the english one i always cant seem to understand.

some pronounce as see-yen. si4-yen3. sai-yen. see-yan.. blah blah....

frankly, sometimes i dun even know which one is the correct pronounciation since there can be so many variations. which at times caught me offguard when an english-speaking asked for my name. coz being non-chinese. they cant use the Chinese pronounciation as a guide. so usually i will hav to repeat umpteen times before they can get a decent one.

moreover, i hav to admit dat my name when pronounced with an english accent really sound quite bad. SEE-YEN.

so often i hav to go thru those awkward times tryin to correct others and of coz to re-affirm myself. which im seriously sick of.

dats why i came up with this suggestion to get an english name for myself. preferably not those 'flamboyant' loud type. juz a simple one dat will make things way easier next time. and it seems dat now shd be a good time since i haven started my uni yet. let alone working. so i only hav not many cliques to inform them abt the new add.

and i dunno why i kinda like the word string 'AN'. probably becoz of my name siyAN.

i did a simple search on names with 'AN' in it. and ta-da the results.

Adan
Aidan
Aydan
Athan
Aryan
Adrian
Bryan
Dylan
Evan
Ian
Ivan
Ryan
Shane
Zane
Zayne
Zyan

obviously there r more but i took away the complicated ones like Nathaniel, Alexandra, Donovan since im juz tryin to look for simple names with 2 or less syllables. It doesnt hav to be the mentioned ones.

looks like i need to do some survey. help anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home